Welcome everyone to the TFB Armorer’s Bench! As mentioned in the little blurb below, this series will focus on a lot of home armorer and gunsmith activities. In this article, I decided to roll out my review of the new Real Avid Master Gun Workstation. Boy oh boy I’ve been excited to give this thing a go since I was told I could. I’ve had a lot of gun vises on my bench. Does this one stand toe to toe with the rest? Let’s dive right into the review and find out!
Real Avid Reading @ TFB:
TFB Armorer’s Bench: Real Avid Master Gun Workstation Review
Here, we at TFB hope to inform, entertain, and even inspire any would-be gunsmith or armorer out there. Ideally, with the information I provide and with the help of our sponsors, you can have some useful knowledge pertaining to the conservation and improvement of firearms technology while at the same time sharing experiences and teaching each other new tips and tricks along the way in the comments. Digging deep into what it is to be an armorer or gunsmith has significance but what is important is what those people do to show they’ve earned that title. I am happy to share my experiences and knowledge and hope it is informative!
Make your personal safety a priority:
- Practice proper gun safety. Always make sure before the firearm hits your bench that it is unloaded and safe to be handled.
- Wear the proper safety equipment. The main one would be safety glasses (decent ones) since parts are often under spring tension and you may work with high RPM tools. Other honorable mentions would be latex gloves or a respirator when working with potentially harmful solvents and oils. Also hearing protection when working with loud machinery or test-firing firearms.
- Modifications, alterations, and customizations will void your firearm’s warranty 9.5 times out of 10. Please take that into consideration before attempting any at-home gunsmithing.
- If you are unsure about proper safety practices, disassembly procedures, or warranty standards, stop, put down the tools, and consult a competent gunsmith.
Specifications: Real Avid Master Gun Workstation
The Real Avid Master Gun Workstation hosts a bunch of thoughtful quality-of-life features such as a large chemical-resistant parts tray base, magnetic slots, one-handed controls all over, and easily adjustable work holding parts. It is lightweight and easily movable.
Firmly secure your firearm
• Quick-Adjustable Clamp, yoke, and shuttle for easy setup and adjustment
• Gun Gripper™ technology for form-fitting retention and secure cleaning
• Leveling Knob for precise optics mounting
• Built-in storage for frequently used items and workplace organization
• Smart-Assist™ compatible with hands-free accessories
• Up to 18.3″ travel for an adjustable fit for rifles and shotguns
• Non-marring form-fitting foam pads for protection
• Chemical-resistant metal parts tray and tool storage
• Dual-integrated cleaning rod storage
• Revolutionary Workstation for cleaning, repairing, customizing, and optics mounting
• Adaptable and modular support system for comfortable and efficient work on any long gun
• Integrated dual-rail yoke system with up to 18.3 inches of front yoke travel
• Rear clamp with one-handed trigger system and form-fitting foam pads for secure buttstock retention
• Height and leveling adjustment with non-slip feet that can be clamped or bolted down
• Metal base serves as a chemical-resistant parts tray
• Easy one-handed control and organization of tools, cleaning rods, jags, brushes, and chemicals
• Hexagon holes for holding punches, jags, and brushes
• Magnetized holes for holding small items
• Must-have Workstation for gun owners and DIY gun maintenance
The MRSP of the Real Avid Master Gun Workstation is $199.99 which puts it up there with many similar high-quality gun vises on the market. It is engineered to a higher degree which should be obvious by just looking at it but touching and feeling it (yes, I know there is a lot of plastic) feels well made as well.
The Master Gun Workstation is a groundbreaking and versatile Workstation designed to revolutionize firearm maintenance, repair, customization and optics mounting. With its adjustable and modular design, it provides a secure and efficient way to clean, repair, customize and mount optics on long guns. The Quick-Adjust Shuttle allows for precise positioning, while the Gun Gripper™ technology ensures a tight grip on gun barrels and stocks. Featuring built-in storage and Smart-Assist™ Accessory compatibility, this Workstation is perfect for cleaning and maintaining all long guns. Elevate your gun maintenance with the Master Gun Workstation and experience a new level of convenience and precision.
Bench Time: Real Avid Master Gun Workstation
It’s bench time! So, I have had this Master Gun Workstation for a couple months now and have used it in a few cleaning projects and a scope mounting project. The first main point I would like to convey is that this workstation is very very light. Not in a cheap garbage way either.
This thing is sturdy. It does not feel like it will fall apart. No piece (adjustable or otherwise) feels unsecured. Picking it up and making room for a different project is effortless. I can see this being very portable and if you, for whatever reason, wanted to take this to the range or on a trip, it is %100 doable. Better yet, if you need to break it down for more space, that is entirely possible with the push of a couple of buttons.
Having a long gun in the vise feels sturdy. The one-handed trigger-actuated clamping system works well. You can clamp down on a stock with a few pumps and disengage with the pull of a trigger.
The front yoke with the rubberized grip holds barrels very well, although I will say a thinner barrel may make your long gun point somewhat downward since the barrel sinks deep to be gripped. This can be alleviated by adjusting the yoke higher up. Most gun vises do not do this.
This Master Gun Workstation was built with a lot of Real Avids tools in mind to accompany it. This is a great thing if you have these items (I feel bad since I do not) but if you do not it feels like there is something missing if that makes sense. There are just slots and spaces for you to create your own workspace.
The large parts tray with raised ridges is a welcome thing in my book. I am a messy gunsmith so I end up scattering tools and parts all over. It is nice to have a large space to put things and not worry about losing them. It is also chemical resistant which is nice since I do a lot of cleaning jobs and believe me those chemicals eat away more than lead. It is nice the tray can hold up.
The workstation base adjustments are another welcome addition that set this workstation apart from other gun vises. I did not need to utilize them since my bench is purposefully tilted inward so my parts do not roll off my bench.
Final Thoughts: Real Avid Master Gun Workstation
I can harp on every single feature the Real Avid Master Gun Workstation has but it would take a year of use to really have a better idea of how I feel about it. But I will be honest in saying I will be happy to use it for a year because it is hands down the best-built gun vise, workstation, whatever you want to call it, that I have ever had the pleasure of working with. It has my approval and I would be happy to report back down the road. It is lightweight so I can move it off the bench if need be, it is easy to take apart so it is just fine to store out of the way, and it is sturdy and level for when it is doing its job, being the Master Gun Workstation.
In closing, I want to say thank you to Real Avid for allowing TFB and myself the opportunity to try out one of their new Master Gun Workstations! That is greatly appreciated. Also, we would like to know what all of you guys and gals think? Do you believe that this new and cool gun vise is something worth spending your money on? Would you utilize this newfound tool on your workbench? Would this be on your go-to work holding device? Let us know all of your thoughts in the comments below! We always appreciate your feedback.
We are committed to finding, researching, and recommending the best products. We earn commissions from purchases you make using the retail links in our product reviews. Learn more about how this works.
Source link: https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2023/07/16/tfb-armorers-bench-new-real-avid-master-gun-workstation-review/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=rss by Sam.S at www.thefirearmblog.com